Thanks to the creation of the League of the Grotte del Cavallone and del Bue nel 1894, began the development of the cavity on the tourist plan. First of all, it was tried to facilitate access to it, which previously was done by ropes stretched out from the top, digging a path of access from below into the rock; later, inside the cave, built wooden stairs, still visible today, that allow to overcome the most difficult walkway points. It also organized a guide service. The first qualified  guide was Joseph Rinaldi recognized that with great passion he accompanied the visitors and explorers until 1938. It was set up a service of mounts the "tregge" to facilitate the ascent to Pian di Valle along the Valley of the Taranta cave access. The treggia was a sledge which was used primarily for the transport of lumber and which was carried on shoulders up to the limit of the vegetation of the cave.  It was used then for the descent, in two, along the gravelly footstep that acts from line of maximum inclination of the Valley of Taranta up to the Road Frentana.

To give greater impetus to the development of tourism in the cave were, among others, two factors: the mention of the cave in the Regional Guide of Abruzzo by Enrico Abbate; the pastoral tragedy La figlia di Jorio, by Gabriele D'Annunzio: the painter Paolo Michetti, was inspired by the cave to create the scenografy of some step. This recalled the interest of many tourists and passionated of the writer and it gave a second name to the Grotta del Cavallone: the Grotta della Figlia di Jorio.

The 1923 marked the beginning of a period of neglect and abandonment of growing process to develop tourism. The League of the Grotte del Cavallone and del Bue, at the end of his term, broke up and began fierce disagreements between owners of Taranta Peligna and Lama dei Peligni. In 1937, the Regional Tourist Board and the National Institute of Speleology produced various documents to suggest the way to the touristic development of the cave. For nearly two years, began to get back into motion of organized excursions by bus services to encourage visits. Unfortunately, the war and the difficulty of ascent to the cave they put a sudden development growing point.

The various postwar exploration and new scientific discoveries were revived interest in this natural wonder. They were presented the projects to facilitate the climb along the Valley of the Tarantula, with roads, and with cable systems. There were many controversies and debates on environmental impact and landscape before arriving, in 1978, to building a convenient cable car (as stated in the brochure of the time) leading from the Pian di Valle, near the SS 84, until an altitude of 1388 a.s.l. along the long Valley. The building of the cable car was fundamental to the tourism growth in  the Grotta del Cavallone. Today, the towns of Taranta Peligna and Lama dei Peligni work assiduously for the enhancement and conservation of the cave and tourist accommodation. Increasingly  was become the time when the cave can be visited (over 100 days a year) and many of the young of Taranta and Blade cable car operation management contribute guided cave and delivery of food service. 

0
0
0
s2smodern
powered by social2s
Gallery - History
  • gita alle grotte del cavallone
  • treggie
  • Gli scopritori della Galleria dei laghi
  • Speleo
  • ingresso gradini
  • Mila di Lazzaro
  • Spedizione alle grotte
  • Speleo nelle Grotte del Cavallone
  • Foto storica
  • Valle di Taranta